Monday, April 26, 2010

Fraternal Twin Love: An Unlikely Match Made In Heaven

Now, before we get "cooking", I feel it's important to note a key detail.

Ever since I was a young warthog I've lived, played, and pranced in the foothills of North Carolina. If you know anything about the Southeastern region of the United States then you probably know eating is considered a sacred art form by most Southerners. This may be the bible belt but the most important place of worship is the United Church of Collard Greens.

However, though my extended family bleeds shrimp and grits, my mother is our family's ultimate black sheep. She's a vegetarian with raw foodist sympathies who loves to cook- therefore, she's spawned a meat eater with vegetarian sympathies who loves to trick her friends into eating soy protein and cauliflower. This paired with a re-dedication to Weight Watchers means all of my cooking is really just an attempt to blend my fraternal twin loves: deep fried down home cookery and heart healthy eating. Seems impossible, right? The thing is, I really don't think it's a true stretch of the imagination. There are many cooking styles and ingredients which can be both homey and decadent while not breaking the metaphorical caloric bank.

Here comes the ultimate conundrum: how the hell does one not break the metaphorical caloric bank while still not breaking the totally NOT METAPHORICAL bank? The answer? I'm still trying to find an answer to this question which doesn't make me and my wallet the final punchline. Even more troubling? Trying to make eating healthy and on the cheap not break the ever present morality bank (for those of you who don't know, Wal-Mart might actually be evil. And not just because there's only ever one cash register open.)

My ultimate recipe? Finding the perfect mix of healthy eating which is tasty and accessible for all taste buds and economic profiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment