Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Spice Up Your Life (Look, I Couldn't Resist An Obvious Opportunity to Quote The Spice Girls)

I know what you’re thinking: this chick spews some really inspirational stuff about getting her act together and trying not to fail at blogging then what does she do? She goes completely M.I.A. on the internet. Whatsupwiththat? Someone needs to give this girl a kick in the ass!

Ok, but here’s the deal. I was eaten by the academic student monster. Have you heard of this terror? It chases students mercilessly from dawn till dusk, and then when they least expect it (usually while they’re taking a teensy break to peruse blogs and watch old episodes of Glee) it snaps them up, chews them up, and spits them back it out in some lonely corner of an ancient library. In my case, the library was dim, lonely, and led to periods of slight insanity. I didn’t see my friends for weeks, and the only people I regularly conversed with were the security guards who were either

A. kicking me out of the magna-computer lab or
B. catching me in the act of “borrowing books with the intent of return but without a library card” because my library card was both physically shredded (yeah I read books THAT frequently) and maxed out.

Pretty much, I’ve been to hell and back since last we spoke. But then, last Friday, a freaking miracle occurred:


I graduated! That’s right, your frugal student is no longer a frugal undergrad. True, I am starting graduate school in the fall. But for the time being I can relish in my lack of homework and the fact that studying until the wee hours of the morning can be just a not oft-thought of nightmare (which will promptly resume in the fall. Wait, what’s my point?)

However, in the last few weeks there have been several culinary improvements to both the frugal student and her home, many of which came courtesy of very generous graduation donations to the “Jessamyn is so poor she may need to move into a tent“ foundation. Seriously, if you are reading this right now and you are one of my prized donors, please know that I could never tell you how grateful I am for what you’ve given. This also goes to everyone who sent greeting cards, gifts, or physical support. I love you so much, my heart could truly explode from all the love it’s emitting.

First thing on the list of things I needed: groceries. Because I’ve got to tell you, this girl’s pantry/fridge was looking bleak. But this wasn’t your average grocery trip: in honor of graduation, I decided to take a trip out of my hometown and drive 45 minutes to the mecca of frugal healthy eaters. That’s right, kids: I drove to Trader Joes.


Now for those of you who haven’t met Joe, Trader Joes is pretty much the best grocery store chain, mmm, in the world. Ok, I’m not going to make that claim as there are several other grocery stores I absolutely adore (I’m looking at you, Whole Foods and Earth Fare.) But as far as merging great prices with unbeatable quality, Trader Joes consistently comes out on top. Which is probably why they don’t have one in my town: to make us triad-ers long and wish for the magnificent day when “Joe” will stroll into town and make all right with our food-addled minds. 

In the mean time, I will continue to make treks to the far reaches of North Carolina in search of fresh ingredients at an even fresher price. Among typical Frugal Student pantry staples, I bought a couple of new items I’ve been itching to try.

1. Soba noodles
Still on the fence about these. I did really enjoy them (by that I mean, I had difficulty telling the difference between buckwheat noodles and my usual whole wheat), but the texture/visual effect left much to the imagination. I probably overcooked them, but mine came out looking less like the package and more like “How To Eat Fried Worms: The Sequel.” Also, I ate them with palak paneer and tofu, and the visual effect was kind of startling.



2. Artichokes
And yes, I’ve eaten artichokes before. I’ve even cooked them. But have I ever tackled a full globe artichoke in its rawest form? The time has come, the walrus said. Later this week I’m going to go all Julie and Julia in my kitchen, and make my own personal take on artichokes with dipping sauce.



3. Whole-wheat Couscous
Ok, I’m officially a convert to the church of couscous. Really, this is god’s gift to pasta addicts. Unbelievably filling yet you’ve only eaten a tiny quantity? Um, sign me up.

Now while there were many awesome gastronomical findings at Trader Joes, my real ‘AHA’ moment came this morning at Deep Roots Market in Greensboro, NC.

Deep Roots is an owner-based co-op located here in the green burro which sells a variety of natural foods, and many locally produced delicious bites. They also have really fresh produce, and they carry some of my favorite local vendors like Goat Lady Dairy, Zaytoon, and Totally Nuts! I could do an entire blog about how Deep Roots is changing the fabric of Greensboro, and one of these days I’ll get around to telling you guys about just how awesome these individual companies are, but for right now I need to alert you to a way your local co-op can save you major, MAJOR green.

Now I know, when hearing about something you should buy at a health food store, you automatically think it’s going to be expensive. And I’m not going to lie: some things in your local health food store are FREAKING EXPENSIVE (even when they are worth the money), and are totally out of some price ranges (like, say, the Frugal Student’s price range.) But one thing that’s not expensive are spices.

Now I’m willing to admit that not every student is trying to retool and/or recreate every recipe they see on the food network (not YET, anyway.) Therefore, not everyone needs to have a fully stocked spice rack at all times. But let’s say you read about this really delicious recipe. You have been dying to try this recipe for ions, and now that school’s out, you’re going to pull out the baking sheet/stockpot/hand mixer your mom bought (or re-gifted) you for Ayya-Miha (or ChristmaHannaKwanzakah, as the case may be) and make it happen. You notice that you need a few ingredients, and so you grab your wallet, jump in the car, and head over to the nearest mega-grocery store.

However, upon entry to the spice aisle, your mind goes into a tailspin. How can a teensy bottle of cumin cost upward of $4? Not to mention that the recipe only called for ½ teaspoon. Before you know it, you’ve scrapped your recipe in favor of a DiGiorno pizza 2 for 1 deal, and you’re vegged out on the couch before anyone can say “Ninja Turtles.”

While I do enjoy some of these $4 per spice companies (*cough* MCCORMICKS *cough*), there is no need for you to fall prey to the proverbial seasoning company pusher man. Here’s what you do: go to your local co-op and buy your spices from bulk sellers. When the spices only average at $1.50/ounce, you can get every spice your heart desires without having a conniption fit.

For instance, today I bought:

-bay leaves
-chili powder
-cardamom
-coriander
-Herbes de Provence
-turmeric

The grand total? 5.10. No, really. FIVE DOLLARS AND TEN CENTS. Yes, that includes tax. It also includes the sea salt and grits I bought. The savings to be had at the co-op are extreme, my friend. Now, as I’m on the verge of moving out of my urban abode and my kitchen storage space leaves a lot to the imagination, most of my spices stay in the little plastic baggies I put them in at the store. But if you’re looking for cheap spice containers, check out ikea: they have great deals on perfect spice sized containers, some of which can be easily magnetized and put on the wall nearest your stove for easy access.

For another take on the spice/cost equation, check out at Aleta at Omnomicon's take on this same issue: How To Buy Spices.

If you don’t know where your nearest co-op is, check out organicconsumers.org or http://www.ncga.coop, two sites which will point you in the right direction. Supporting your local co-op is an awesome way to keep money in the local economy, which is a FANTASTIC way for individuals to help boost the national economy out of its comatose state.

Now if you’ll excuse me, there’s a bowl of couscous in my kitchen and it’s screaming my name. I’m telling you, man, get thee to a grocery store and try this ish immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment